View Michigan abortion figures for 2019 by county
The present emptiness on the USA Supreme Courtroom has a number of People speaking about Roe v. Wade, the 1973 ruling that legalized abortion nationwide.
A complete of 27,339 abortions had been reported in Michigan in 2019, in response to the Michigan Division of Well being and Human Companies. This equates to about one abortion for each 4 dwell births.
Abortions in Michigan and the USA peaked within the early Eighties. In 1982, greater than 43,000 abortions had been reported to the present Michigan Division of Well being and Human Companies.
Michigan’s numbers have since fallen, though there was an increase since 2012. Those that help and oppose authorized abortion agree the rise was the results of a 2012 legislation that toughened necessities reporting for physicians and well being amenities that carry out abortions.
In recent times, a typical Michigan abortion affected person has been a single mom in her twenties, in response to the state’s 2019 Abortion Report.
Virtually 60% of ladies who’ve abortions dwell within the Detroit metro space; 51% of abortion sufferers are African American and 51% have had not less than one abortion, in response to state information.
The overwhelming majority of abortions – 88% – had been obtained throughout the first 12 weeks of being pregnant. There have been 298 abortions or 1.2% carried out after 20 weeks; this contains 294 between 21 and 24 weeks, three between 25 and 28 weeks and an abortion after the twenty eighth week.
About 94% of abortions had been “self-funded” whereas the remaining 6% had been paid for by insurance coverage.
The variety of out-of-state abortions elevated from 1,162 in 2018 to 1,437 in 2019.
The net database beneath permits readers to analysis the variety of abortions from 2009 to 19 by county. Figures are based mostly on the place the sufferers lived, not the place the abortions had been carried out. You may click on a bar within the graph to see the quantity.
The map beneath reveals the abortion charge by county. That is the variety of abortions in 2019 per 1,000 ladies aged 15-44 (there are a number of rural counties the place charges weren’t out there as a result of small inhabitants and low variety of abortions.)
Be taught extra about MLive: